Many African Americans families, like most Americans, struggle to obtain wealth that will benefit their immediate family and community. Assets are key drivers of community revitalization and personal financial freedom. The community and economic development program establishes asset development infrastructure in communities of color leveraging the NAACP network and resources.
South Brevard NAACP Community Coordination
This is a vital effort to work with other like minded organizations in our community.
- August 12, 2020: Participated in a call with community leaders and school board members to improvement needs of our students that are far behind other students throughout the county.
- August 12, 2020: Planning Meeting with FACDL (Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers) concerning the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office refusing to release the booking video of Army Veteran George Edwards. This veteran died while in the custody of the sheriff department.
- August 15, 2020: Met with several departments of the Most Worshipful Union Grand Lodge In Melbourne and stated the importance of the vote and census 2020.
- August 22, 2020: Participated in a door to door with the Deltas to do door hanging for Census 2020.
- August 28, 2020: Met with Chief Gillespie, Melbourne Police Dept. on issues in the department with over reaction by officers in two citizens in our communities.
- September 19, 2020: “A Day Of Action” Community Supporters in conjunction with Florida Rights Restoration Coalition (FRRC) hosted A Day of Action in which they helped individuals complete the Census, volunteer registering people to vote, and FRRC volunteers assisting Returning Citizens in Florida with the payment of more than $3 Million in their fines and fees and they will be in Brevard County to do the same.